Tools & Tech to Streamline your Bookkeeping Business
Some of the tools I use to help me day to day are as follows:
Disclaimer: A few of the links below are affiliate links. If you purchase through them, I might earn a commission, or be compensated in some way. However, please note that these are resources, tools, etc., that I’ve either used in the past or continue to use personally; or come from helpful companies or individuals that I know and trust… That’s why I’m listing them here for you! If you click on any of them, thank you!
Some of my favourite features are:
- Intake Forms – You can create custom intake forms for clients to fill out when they book appointments, tax, new client on boarding, initial meetings etc. See all your notes, intake forms, appointment history, and payments in one place.
- Easy – Booking is simple for clients. They can see when the appointment they’re trying to schedule is available, can pick a particular person or see the combined availability for everyone. You can also pool everyone’s availability together so clients are automatically assigned to any available staff.
- Payments – Increase revenue and secure appointments by having clients prepay, leave a deposit, or reserve their appointment with a credit card.
- Calendar Sync – Keep up to date by subscribing your calendars with Acuity Scheduling so new appointments get added to your calendar instantly. With Google Calendar you can get instant 2-way syncing so that new appointments appear instantly in Google and on all of your devices. Any events you block off in Google are instantly blocked off in Acuity. Also supports ICal and Outlook. Easily book, reschedule, or block off time with just a click.
- Customizable – Your scheduler is an expression of your business. You can customize colors, logos, wording, emails, and nearly everything else to reflect your brand.
- It can be coded directly into your website so your clients stay on your site to book their appointment. It will look like a natural extension of your site, and is easy to add to Facebook, WordPress, Wix, Squarespace, Weebly etc.
- Notifications – Instant notifications, automatic email reminders, and optional text messages keep customers informed about their appointment to eliminate no-show appointments. Send out follow-ups messages after appointments to ask clients to re-book, review you online etc.
Inexpensive to get started: Free for their solo plan, then $10 for the next level.
Boomerang in Gmail which has the following features:
- Boomerang (return to inbox later) – This allows you to effectively send an email away to return at a date and time that you specify. I find it useful when I am waiting for clients to get back to me on a certain date or if I need to wait on an email task until later. No more clogging up my main email screen.
- Send later – This is great for night owls or early risers who would rather their emails show up in inboxes at the most opportune time for their clients.
- Read Receipts – I love read receipts but I do find I prefer the read receipts from Streak more. See below for more Streak details.
- Pricing – Free for 10 Boomerangs per month, $4.99 per month for unlimited Boomerang.
Streak is another Gmail addon that I use for a basic CRM
My main use of Streak is:
- Email View Tracking feature – This sends me a message when my sent email has been read, using what type of device and from where. This way I don’t have the problem with my clients saying they never received my email. With Streak I know the exact time the email was read. I love the information and the security this provides.
- CRM – I honestly haven’t spent a lot of time playing around with the other features but when I do I’ll update this section and let you know. Update: I am now using all of the features of Streak including the CRM. I use it to track my sales and new client inquiries and store all emails from each of these particular clients. It works very well in conjunction to Asana.
- Pricing – I started with the free plan months ago and am still using it. The next level up is priced at $19/user/month.